2004/03/17

Andrew Denton gets noticed in the USA...
...for interviewing Lisa Marie Presley and getting a rather non-descript response from her. The following is what is reported in the Sydney Morning Herald:

Presley, who divorced Jackson in 1996 after a union lasting 19 months, told Denton she had felt powerless in her marriage, and that was why she left.
"I mean, powerless in a lot of ways, in terms of ... Realizing that I was part of a machine, and seeing things going on that I couldn't do anything about," she said.
"And don't ask me what sort of things, because I'm not going to answer. But just stuff."
So it turns out the US legal experts are suggesting they subpoena Lisa Marie in their case against Michael Jackson. As it happens I watched this interview and got the distinct impression she was talking about something else, not the alleged lewd and lascivious acts. In fact, Ms. Presley was most guarded in most of her responses because she knew that whatever she said would "bleed back to America". This could get interesting, but I wonder how much weight of evidence statements made in a TV interview in Australia, could carry in the prosecution's case against Jackson. In fact, judging from Ms. Presley's generally reticent demeanor, even if police were to subpoena her, they would probably get the same sort of vague responses.

"What did you see Ms. Presley?"
"Well, stuff, y'know?"
"What kind of 'stuff'?"
"I don't want to talk about it; just stuff."
"May we remind you that you're under oath Ms. Presley"
"All right then, disturbing stuff. Like chimps and llamas eating at the table with us; and all the demotapes for songs he'd never finish; the endless stream of plastic surgery brochures that piled up on our doorstep..."

I don't know, I'm just making that one up.
However, it was interesting to see the Global Village in action, turning a seeming nothing into a something, the value of which is probably *not much*.

- Art Neuro

Blog Archive