2004/08/26

Daisuke Matsuzaka Comments
I found this in one of the Japanese New Sites:

We lost yesterday but everybody was able to switch over their minds for today's game. I kept in mind the words of manager Shigeo Nagashima, 'To make it a fine Olympic expereince, you must at least finish with a glorious finale'.

Speaking for myself, in the games I started, I was able to throw my emotions of four years since Sydney into the games, doing my utmost best. Last time's loss made me grow considerably from the experience so I see yesterday's loss as another opportunity to up the level of my game; I would like to continue to put a strong effort in towards the next time. Of course I'd like to make another start in 4 years, but until then I'd like to take each year carefully as they come, one by one.

Finishing with a bronze, medal, I don't know how our fans will respond, but it is the result from having done our best. I know I said before we left Japan that it's not good enough to simply put in your best and participate, but I hope people who were watching could draw something from our efforts.


Japan beat Canada 11-2 for the Bronze medal. They rapped out 13 hits for their 11 runs. the pitching staff struck out 11 and only walked 2. All too late. The Japanese team will go home to 2 leagues, one in tatters and in labor strife. They felt they needed the gold medal to at least salvage something from a disastrous season; and yet their loss is probably more symptomatic of those problems back home in their professional leagues. The Pacific League in which Matsuzaka plays with the Seibu Lions may contract down to 4 teams. There are even rumours flying that it's going to become 1 league of 8 teams after 2-3 franchise mergers. It's bad over there; and this may have been the last hurrah of sorts for the NPB faithful.

- Art Neuro

No comments:

Blog Archive