2009/01/10

Squirm-Worthy

At Least Being Dumb Isn't One Of Her Problems

A couple of weeks ago it was suggested that it was the nasty reviews that hounded Nicole Kidman out of town, but it turns out it was actually seeing her own performance.
Nicole Kidman isn't "proud" of her performance in Australia.

The 41-year-old actress has revealed she "squirmed" in her seat throughout the Sydney premiere because she was so uncomfortable watching herself on screen.

She said: "I can't look at this movie and be proud of what I've done. I sat there, and I looked at Keith and went, 'Am I any good in this movie?' But I thought Brandon Walters and Hugh Jackman were wonderful. It's just impossible for me to connect to it emotionally at all."

Nicole was so nervous about her performance she fled Australia as soon as the premiere was over with husband Keith Urban and their five-month-old daughter Sunday Rose.

She told Australian radio station 2dayFM: "We ran because I didn't want to read anything. I didn't want to know. I saw my sister and my family and we saw Keith's family and then we were straight on a plane."

Nicole added she only attended the premiere to please the film's director Baz Luhrmann.

She said: "I don't usually see my films, but because of Baz I had to see it. I saw 'Moulin Rouge'. I've really only seen that and this in my whole career. It gets worse as I get older."

That's it in full (sorry SMH, I can't resist it when it's this juicy in full). At least she knew it was crap the moment she saw it.

Let us now officially dismiss the claims that it was the tall poppy syndrome. The tall poppy syndrome, while it does exist, had nothing to do with this one. Nicole Kidman watched herself on screen and squirmed and decided to hit the road before the crits came in.

There's an old story about how Eric Stoltz was originally cast as Marty McFly. 2 weeks into the shoot, the director and producers realised that as fine an actor as Eric Stoltz was, he didn't have good comic timing. It just wasn't his suite. So they canned Stoltz and brought in Michael J. Fox, and the rest of it is history as we know it.

In other words, if a cast member isn't working out for you, especially in a big budget movie, don't hesitate to replace them. Baz Luhrmann should've known from the rushes it wasn't working, but he persisted with Kidman. Heaven only knows what he was hoping for. It sure hasn't done his films any favors and it's surely dented Nicole Kidman's reputation (and bankability) quite heavily for sure.

No comments:

Blog Archive