2008/05/10

Shark Attack

Unseasonal Attack

We always report'em when we see'em.
A man has been attacked by a shark on the south-west coast of Western Australia.

The man suffered leg injuries in the attack at Middleton Beach in Albany about 7.30am (WST).

A woman helped bring the man ashore, said Senior Sergeant Roger Creamer from Albany Police.

"The witnesses tell us he was having a swim around 80 metres off the beach," Snr Sgt Creamer said.

"He started yelling. A woman has gone out off the beach into the water to assist him, and she's seen what she's believed to be a shark.

"A couple of other swimmers have also seen it, and said the same thing."

The man was taken to Albany Hospital for treatment.

There were no immediate details on his injury or condition.

The shark was believed to be about four metres long, but it is not yet known what type it was.

Snr Sgt Creamer said the beach had been closed.
We report them here because we believe they happen a lot more often than people admit to.

UPDATE
Shark attack victim Jason Cull says he was taken under by the shark, but poked it in the eye when it let go of him.
Mr Cull said he saw a dark shape in the water and thought it was a dolphin.

"It was much bigger than a dolphin when it came up. It banged straight into me - I realised what it was, it was a shark," he told reporters from his hospital bed.

"I sort of punched it, and it grabbed me by the leg and dragged me under the water.

"I just remember being dragged backwards underwater. I felt along it, I found its eye and I poked it in the eye, and that's when it let go."
This is the second report of a shark attack that resulted in the shark letting go after a poke in the eye.

No comments:

Blog Archive