2008/05/20

Dumb Consumerism

New Mobile Phone

It doth suck that mobile phones barely seem to outlive their contracts. Just when I was getting used to just paying the phone bill and not for the phone, the phone died. Such is life in the world of mobile phone ownership. I think the rule of thumb is, just when you think you need to change the battery is when you're due for a new phone.

Anyway, I went into the Telstra shop to get the cheapest phone I could get and ended up spending more than that plan, which is a shame. What can you do? As I bought my phone, Telstra's people made a fuss that I was nominally going to a cheaper phone rate so I had to pay an exit fee. In the end they waived the fee; and so they should because I stayed with their lousy network rather than move to the lousy competitors.

The new phone is what they call Next G, or 3G. It comes with the capacity to do all kinds of doodads for a price. It has WAP galore, but for the life of me, I've never been one to want to watch sitcoms on my phone - I mean, who has the time?

The added problem is, the next phone down actually has reliability problems. So the phone I got is this Sony Ericsson number with a glossy silver top which I can't seem to resist wiping my finger prints off every few minutes. It's perverse. however, I did have a similarly configured hire phone in Tokyo, which I found a lot more usable than my recently deceased Nokia, so I'm not unhappy with it. I had this idea that maybe I'd wait for the iphone, but it simply wasn't to be.

No comments:

Blog Archive