2006/05/30

Some Art

Amongst all the things I'm working on, I'm working on a translation of a book on Japanese contemporary art for Kodansha International this year.

In amongst it all, I found this interesting artist Makoto Aida, so I googled his name and found these pickies:






Makoto Aida is full of surprises but he's so politically incorrect it's not funny. He leaves western critics sort of apopleptic with gender war fury. The thing is, he so doesn't give a shit, and neither do the folks who fork out a fortune to buy his stuff, and it's awesome art. Which goes to show ideological modification of art is a fools' errand and has been the bane of art in the west for some time. Just look at the rhetoric required to get an 'arts grant'. Sheesh!

My fave artist in the book is Ken Hamaguchi, who I had the pleasure of meeting in Tokyo twice. He's a quiet fellow but with intense dialectical technique. I can't find anything by him on google yet, but would love to introduce his work to you all.

No comments:

Blog Archive