2004/06/02

Saving Telescope Hubble
No, it won't be taking 8 men into a wartorn France, it's going to be a robot-mission according to NASA's chief. Astronomers everywhere are breathing a sigh of relief.

NASA was ready to pull the plug on Hubble. But there was a huge outcry over the loss of the telescope responsible for the most dramatic and colorful pictures from space.

An Internet petition was signed by thousands, O'Keefe's e-mail system was clogged with complaints and members of Congress demanded reviews.

Even John Glenn weighed in, saying another servicing mission was necessary "to get every year's value out of that thing." And other astronauts, including those who had worked on Hubble over the years, wrote O'Keefe arguing that the risk was worth taking.

Yes, John Glenn, the man certified by Tom Wolfe to have 'the Right Stuff' weighed in on this. How cool is that? Astroboy would be proud.

Learning New Things
I'm studying how to work this mysterious thing known as a 'Macintosh' and how to cut pictures using 'Finalcut Pro HD'. Arcane magic. I never thought I'd say this, but the PC format with its nasty little Microsoft OS never looked so comfortable to me. :)

My posts here might be less frequent in the coming days, I don't know. But I'll be back once I conquer the 'Macintosh' thingy.

- Art Neuro0

2 comments:

DaoDDBall said...

Mac's are easy. Even for you. ;)

Art Neuro said...

The Mac is the easy part. Sorting through 4 pieces of software at once that have to work in concert is more tricky. OSX (10.3.3) is nice tho', I'll give you that.

Blog Archive