2004/06/10

Sad Relics on Sale
The NY Daily News reports that the late Thurman Munson's pilot's licence will be auctioned off as memorabilia. It's one of those things that irks people.

Munson, the Yankees' first captain since Lou Gehrig, brought pride and swagger back to a franchise that fell on hard times by the early '70s. He was the American League MVP in 1976 when the Yankees won their first pennant in 12 years. Munson, an enthusiastic amateur pilot, died on August 2, 1979 while practicing takeoffs and landings at Akron-Canton Regional Airport.

Diana Munson said it's not easy to part with her husband's belongings. "I thought it would be a great way to share pieces of his story. Each piece is a piece of Thurman," she said. "But the pilot's license does not bring happy memories. It's nothing that brings me joy."

My heart keeps aching over Thurman's death on 2nd August 1979. One of the saddest days in my sad old childhood. All the kids in the nieghbourhood were speechless on the street where we were playing stick ball. People talk about where they were when JFK got whacked. I remember where I was when a little old lady came rushing out to tell us Thurman Munson was gone. I guess she cared too.

Next thing I knew I was in bloody Australia, far, far away from the Yankees. :)

- Art Neuro

No comments:

Blog Archive