2023/05/28

Quick Shots 28/May/2023

Still Unpacking

We're most of the way through unpacking from our move, well over three months after the move date. I've not really caught my breath from the frenetic 2022, and now we're nearly half way through 2023. Part of it is that there's been some furniture buying that's been going on. You think you don't need to do it, but an extra shelf here or there really helps with the organising of things. Sometimes you underestimate just how many CDs you have until you start putting them on your new shelves. I shouldn't be surprised - I bought a good deal right through the CD era that spanned 35 years. At an average of 30 albums a year, that's easily 1050 discs, not counting that some of the albums are double albums. Box sets add both numbers and bulk - and I have a few of those too. This might be the first year that I haven't gone and added a bunch of discs to the pile. The move has dented my inclination towards more stuff in general. 

On the bright side, it's the first time in many years that I've been able to just unpack all my books, LPs DVDs and videos on to shelves. It's quite a pleasure just looking at the spines and remembering what was in them. It's like a map of where your brain has been. The young's laugh at us and our physical media, but that's just the thing. The physicality of the stuff helps you retain just what the hell is in them. 

Gigging Life

One of the weirder developments in my life is this gigging thing at this late juncture. The band Whateva has been going a few months now and we haven't blown apart. We seem to do a show about once a month. Our repertoire is a bunch of originals and it's now growing slowly after the initial burst. I guess we're getting a little finickier about what passes for a good idea, whereas in the first three rehearsals, we just threw shit against the wall and made it stick. 

I didn't really expect this development although it's a bit like becoming a parent late in life. You have a better perspective on it so as to appreciate it more. The process has been far less stressful than the bands of my youth and for some odd reason the band seems to go over much better than anything I did back then. 

In June we'll be playing the Moshpit and somewhere up in Newcastle. That ought to be fun. 

New Album Out Soon

There will be a new Art Neuro release in June. It's called Cyberpunk Chronicles, and it's largely based on my songbook from the 90s. The offical release date is 22 June 2023

 


No comments:

Blog Archive