2023/05/16

It All Goes By

History Repeating

I'm quitting my job at UTS. I handed in my resignation at 9:00 am on Monday. The response I got from my boss was mild surprise. I'm surprised they're surprised at all, but I've also been told management that is  surprised is displaying its incompetence. There seems to be a lot of truth to that adage. 

The joke is I'm headed back to my previous work place, albeit with a promotion and pay rise. When I left I got offered double the money I was making so maybe that made an impact. I'm going back to 3/4 the money I'm earning now but... it's not going to be so annoying. Plus, it's nice to be wanted as opposed to tolerated because you happen to be the random dude they picked up to fill a weirdly shaped need. 

Last year when I got the job I said I felt like was graduating Chatswood to go to university all over again. This turned out to be weirdly prophetic in that I promptly quit university 36 years ago and... here I was quitting it again. I've somehow managed to get my ass back to Chatswood. It's weird. 

The morning I handed in my resignation was also the morning an old colleague from my days at AFTRS passed away. I'd lost touch with him, but others had not and so the news filtered through to me like a bad rumour. I imagine he'll haunt this world as a ghost. There was a lot in his life of which he couldn't let go.


No comments:

Blog Archive