2020/03/25

'One More Time Before I Die'

True Stories, Tall, and Short

The thing about life and lyrics is that you run out of things to write about your own life. I ran out of things to write about my life and love life at that, a very longtime ago. I don't mean to boast but, I've written a lot of songs my time and written a bunch of short stories in my time, and lord only knows I've written a shit tonne of blog posts over here too. It's natural that you pick the low hanging fruit of your life pretty damn clean, somewhere along in your creative life. It's just something that happens in a creative life.

You don't have to be Picasso or Paul Klee to want to re-invent the way you approach things from first principles, and unless you are Titian who never bored of painting similar kinds of portraits, you do go looking for different subjects and topics to address. You can't keep going over the same terrain repeating yourself - unless you're a bluesman. Then it's de rigeur.

One of the reasons I ran out love songs to write is because at some point I settled down and stopped lusting after the next pretty face that came along. That too is life. You can't keep riding on the testosterone, getting into romantic scraps in search of ever more love songs. Or just any old relationship-related songs for that matter. It's often better to go all Paul McCartney and pick song titles and stories out of newspapers. Not to mention the fact that love, as portrayed in pop songs is more akin to mental illness than actual love, but that is sort of another topic for another day.

All that said, you do luck out sometimes.

My musical acquaintance Paul regaled me with the story of two old blokes on a bus wherein the conversation revolved around wanting to have one last fuck before they shuffled off their portal coil. I was in a bus and this woman loudly proclaimed in a phone conversation - which she forced everybody to listen to on the bus - that she would like to get laid just one more time with the guy she slept with the night before. And then there was this teenage girl who is always talking way too loud on the bus wondering out loud if she will ever have sex again, after she dumped her boyfriend.

Sometimes life gifts you three verses, jus like that. You'd be a mug not to write it down into a song.



Come join the fun at Spotify.

No comments:

Blog Archive