2020/03/05

'In Love With Love'

"That's What They Say"

Having never owned a pink Cadillac or lived with somebody in America's fly-over-land, you can safely surmise the story in the song is fiction.

If I did own a Caddie, I would like to have owned one with big fins like the one Don Draper drives in the earlier seasons, the light blue 1962 Coupe DeVille. The 1965 Coupe DeVille he gives away in late season 7 is also appealing. That said, I'm not really all that big on American cars in general, yet somehow Cadillacs have had a way of entering songs. I've been trying to work in other brand names for a while but Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Plymouth don't quite have the same vibe.

I do want to write a song that features a 1972 Pontiac Firebird and play my Gibson Firebird on it, but nothing concrete has materialised around that concept. One of these days I'll get there. It's hard to write a song about pony cars that's actually a better song than 'Mustang Sally' so I don't try. 'Mercury Blues' is a great song I might even try and cover one day.

In other news... I ran into an ex the other day. It was sort of embarrassing because it was so long ago. The lesson I drew from the awkward encounter was that things happen for a reason. Sometimes when you break up you get all hung up for all the things that you'd have been with that person. Well, one of the things that happens is people get old and ... you know... less good-looking. It's easier not to regret the old, lost loves when you realise that they fucked up and disintegrated for good reasons - whatever those reasons might be - and life just goes on in a downward trajectory for everybody. It just doesn't matter in the face of entropy.  

Sometimes you gotta realise the heartbreak is bad because on top of everything else, you were just in love with love.




Come join the fun at Spotify.

No comments:

Blog Archive