2006/01/19

Thanks Salman, We Never Would've Guessed

Spot the caption...
"I have 5 ipods"?
"I'm working on having 5 wives before I die"?
"Stop in the name of Allah?"

They're Scared Of Chicks!
According to author Salman Rushdie, the Extremist Islamist Male is suffering from a massive sexual anxiety in the face of liberated women.
I must say my response is kind of "D'uh Salman, you think?"
I guess a guy who marries four times ought to know something about chicks and masculine anxieties no?
Here's the AP/Yahoo article:
Rushdie told German weekly magazine Stern that his latest novel, "Shalimar the Clown", dealt with the deep anxiety felt among many Islamic men about female sexual freedom and lost honor.

When asked if the book drew a link between "Islamic terror and damaged male honor", Rushdie said he saw it as a crucial, and often overlooked, point.

"The Western-Christian world view deals with the issues of guilt and salvation, a concept that is completely unimportant in the East because there is no original sin and no savior," he said, in comments printed in German.

"Instead, great importance is given to 'honor'. I consider that to be problematic. But of course it is underestimated how many Islamists consciously or unconsciously attempt to restore lost honor."

When asked why he probed the issues in his new novel in the context of a love triangle, he said: "It has a lot to do with sexual fear of women."

Rushdie, 58, said that much of the anger toward the West was provoked by that split on sexual issues.

"(It is) because Western societies do not veil their women. Because they do not defuse this potential danger," he said.

The Indian-born Rushdie, who lives in New York with his fourth wife Padma Lakshmi, told Stern that he has lived without security protection for seven or eight years.

"I go where I please," he said. "I went to India often in the last few years, which I enjoyed."

Rushdie was forced into hiding after the late Iranian spiritual leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issued a fatwa, or religious edict, in 1989, calling for his execution because of alleged blasphemy and apostasy in his novel "The Satanic Verses".

The author had a 2.8-million-dollar bounty placed on his head by a Tehran-based foundation
That 'Fatwa' truly sucks, no? I'd bomb Tehran on the strength of the stupidity of issuing Fatwas. Forget nukes, the arts must be protected!!

Fourth Wife!
I think his last wife asked him to throw away his CDs and replace them all with an ipod... No?

No comments:

Blog Archive