2005/10/11

ALDS Game 5

Going Down In Flames

The Yanks lost Game 5 3-5. I wasn't surprised one bit.
Moose was crap today. he gave up 5 runs in 3 innings and that was that.

Torre sent Randy Johnson to the mound and he stopped the bleeding, but the Yankees never really got their offense clicking. I don't know where to start in dissecting except to say, A-Rod and Matsui were total no-shows with the bat today.


Ever the post-season warrior, Jeter went 3-for-4 with a sac fly and a homer in a game that really counted (in his books, I guess). He looked at ease out there. I did kind of hate the one at-bat where he tapped the first pitch he saw to short, ending an inning, but maybe that's asking too much of Captain Amazing.

Gary Sheffield laced 3 singles. Giambi pounded out a double and single in his last 2 at-bats; and for once, looked like the guy who went 4-for-4 in his last game as an Athletic; the indomitaable guy the Yankees signed. He really wanted it, the action, the at-bat, the opportunity to be the man.

Robinson Cano looked relaxed and went deep into the count; I think the future is bright for Cano. Posada kept drawing walks; but all this aside, the offense got very little continuity with A-Rod and Matsui going for a combined 0-for-9. The Yankees stranded 10 runners on base, and while you might think RBIs might be over-rated as a tool, they're runs out there waiting to come home. Leaving them out there was a crime.

Or perhaps Ervin Santana was just too good.


Either way, the Yankee season is over. The post-season romp was essentially an added bonus to a season that probably should've ended worse. I know in the bottom of my heart that the Yankee bullpen had no business contesting for a World Series or a league series, so surprisingly, I'm quite calm about it.
Indeed, in 2001, I groaned at the blooper in game 7.
In 2002, I sat stunned as the Angel bats mauled the Yanks.
In 2003, I sat there feeling exhausted as the Marlins snuck by for a World Series win
In 2004... I don't even want to go there.
And there might be a problem in the Yankee team there too, because A-Rod and Matsui looked like they choked. They looked really stiff. I think those two guys might be a little affected in the head by the experience of 2004.

As of now, I'm, rooting for the White Sox. In the name of Joe Jackson and the Black Sox; in the name of putting to rest their very own 'curse' mythology just as the Red Sox did last year. They've got my favorite Post-Season pitcher in El Duque, and I just want to see his myth grow. Now that the Yanks are gone, well, who else can I root for?
It'd be fantastic for that franchise.

Looking forwards, I think this off-season is going to see some interesting changes in the Yankee camp.
1) Will Brian Cashman stay? If not who will replace him?
2) Will Torre stay? If not who will replace him?
3) Who is going to be in the rotation next year?
4) Which free agents will they target? Clearly BJ Ryan must be on that list.
5) and who will be back? Matsui? Gordon?
Argh, another winter of discontented malcontents has begun, but for now, Go White Sox!

No comments:

Blog Archive