2004/11/08

Welcome To The Drew Henson Hour
Baseball Season has ended, and I have run out of smoke to fill the pages. I do want to sort of follow gridiron a little bit, only because ex-Yankee thirdbase prospect Drew Henson has moved back to try his hand at Football.

The story so far was that Drew Henson, a once-touted 3B propsect for the Yankees burnt out and decided to go back to his other sport, Football (a.k.a Gridiron). He was drafted speculatively by Houston, and this played into Henson's decision to quit baseball and his 17 milliondollar contract and try his hand at being a quarterback where he once considered a can't-miss future star in that sport. Henson was signed by Houston who traded him to the rather needy Dallas Cowboys organisation.

Henson's decision, combined with Aaron Boone's unfortunate basketball accident of course cleared the Yankee books to enable them to trade for Alex Rodriguez; so it is with some interest that I have followed Henson's football career. I'll be blunt: I barrack for the guy, even if he's playing for the hated Dallas Cowaboys. I want him to succeed. I can't explain why.
Maybe it's because there were some years where I was desperately waiting for him to arrive as the Yankee thirdbaseman of the future; a kind of a homegrown Troy Glaus homerun-mashing 3B. We Yankee faithful all hoped for that all-homegrown infield of Nick Johnson, Alfonso Soriano, Derek Jeter, Drew Henson. Just consider it a hangover of that anticipation of something that never came.

And so in that odd spirit, I present to you this article. And this one where the Cowboys took a humiliating 26-3 loss.

Hope is fleeting for the Cowboys (3-5). Only six teams have made the playoffs during the past five years with fewer than 10 wins. The Cowboys will be hard-pressed to win six of their next eight games to get to 9-7 and possible wild-card playoff contention. They will be decided underdogs in at least five of their remaining games, starting next Monday against the NFCEast-leading Eagles. The situation puts the inevitable quarterback change, to get rookie Drew Henson seasoning for next year, on the horizon.

Parcells, at wits' end with a team he calls "stupid," simply said he doesn't know "where we go from here, if anywhere."

"That is about as bad as it can get," Parcells said. "I am really embarrassed for that kind of performances. We were poorly coached and we played bad. I have to take the blame for it. I don't know that I can get them to do anything."

Parcells also described the 35-17 season-opening loss to Minnesota and the 40-21 loss to Green Bay two weeks ago as embarrassing. He called the latter the lowest point of his two-year tenure in Dallas.

That is, until Sunday.
Parcells offered an apology to owner Jerry Jones, who brought Parcells to Dallas last year with a four-year, $17.1 million contract to make the Cowboys into winners again.

"We just stink," Parcells said. "We are bad. I am ashamed and the owner doesn't deserve it. I did a poor job. We as a team did poor. I am embarrassed for the organization."


Eesh!. That doesn't sound too good. But it does open the door for this comment:
How bad are things in Dallas?
Bad enough that they probably want to switch to QB Drew Henson and play for the future. One problem: Next week is a Monday night game against the Eagles. Don't expect to see the rookie start that one. But after they fall to 3-6, expect him to start against Baltimore.

It looks like a long road ahead for Drew Henson, but I hope he makes it, and becomes the cornerstone of a Dallas Dynasty. I won't post results every week, but from time to time, I'm going to check in on the Cowboys. As for your hate-mail, I'm used to it from my Yankee excursions. :)

- Art Neuro

No comments:

Blog Archive