2004/05/13

More to do with Max
A few weeks back, we had a minor side-discussion about this, but it's turned out to have some 'legs'. Another friend of mine who has seen the film sent in this link about the film 'Max' starring John Cusack and Noah Taylor as the young Adolf Hitler.
Here's a little bit that got me nodding in agreement:

Cusack: I actually called Maureen Dowd after she took a swipe at the movie and I asked her how she could do that without even seeing it. And she said, "Oh, I like your work" -- she was very complimentary and so on. But I thought it was a tad lazy on her part to go after a movie she'd never seen. Her attitude was that even a serious, adult examination of this subject had to be exploitative, simply because of the subject matter.

Even talking to my father, who's a writer and a very smart, progressive, open-minded guy, he told me, "I don't know, it disturbs me -- I don't want to think of Hitler as a human." Because what the film asks of you is very painful. It's not a truth you want to face.

To those who say, "How dare you give Hitler a set of human characteristics?" -- I say, "How dare we not?" It's easy to portray him as a monster, it's harder and more disturbing to show his humanity and how it became poisoned.
Pretty interesting read over all.

-Art Neuro

No comments:

Blog Archive