2023/03/16

Living With Regrets Is A Boring Thing

But I've Had A Few

Every artist lives a double life. It doesn't matter if they're good or bad, or working visual media or sound, or something else entirely, the thing about being any kind of purveyor of creative output is that side of you is inevitably a different persona to what you are really like as a human being. It's not really widely understood by the regular punter who does not undertake the messy journey to creator-hood, but when  you commit to making stuff, you essentially grow a second persona inside of you and, that artist self can have a helluva different character to you. 

Anyway, I say that because most artists who are committed to their thing spend a heck of a lot of time in an almost hallucinatory obsessive space to do with their creative work. If you're anything like Modigliani, you spend an inordinate amount your time thinking about curved lines that delineate the female form in various poses. And if you're anything like Frank Zappa, you're busily trying to tweeze out the weird from the mundane and wrap a song around it. The world of creative endeavours is filled with people living these unseen second lives. Then they get interviewed, and the wrong persona answers the questions on behalf of the wild person doing the art. That's why all interviews are suspect - but that is by the by.

The important thing is, with me, I tend to mull over the things I regret just to get to my output. And one day I finally got bored of that being my process. 

Come join the fun!


No comments:

Blog Archive