2008/11/12

On Armistice Day

At The Eleventh Hour Of The Eleventh Day of The Eleventh Month...

I found myself supping on coffee at work, watching planes land on the third runway. I get a spectacular view of planes as they land. From the moment I see their nose cones to when they hit the tarmac sending up smoke is 15-20 seconds. But I stopped to check that moment because it was the 90th anniversary when the Great War to end them all finally finished. And we're still warring all over the globe. In fact we're fighting ever more than before as we sell ever more weapons to needy countries. It's a drag but it's worth reflecting on for a moment.

Being Gen-X, our constant gripe is that we get over-looked for the babyboomers. When you look at the Inkling-Modern generation (the JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, Max Ernst & Dada generation who found themselves on the battlefields in Europe in 1914-1918), they had a good chunk wiped out through the incompetence of their generals. As for me, having shoved the word 'Gen-X' into the masthead above, I'm already forced to ponder how pithy, petty and insignificant my generational gripes are today. We've got it relatively good in the scheme of things. 

So here's to World Peace. Honestly. 

That Action Guy Link

I've added a link under the cinema section on the right, to 'That Action Guy Blog'. It's a very active blog with lots of stuff going on all the time, so go have a look. You won't be  bored. If you're a budding screenwriter, drop him a line. Brian M. Logan (aka 'Monologan' is ) full of good advice on how not to choose an agent and how not to get shafted by your manager who is the best man at your agent's wedding (and other conflict of interest issues that arise). 

And if you're just interested in what it's like to be a screenwriter, then there's plenty of gold in thar hills at 'That Action Guy'. I'm waiting for him to plug this blog soon when I actually get a few worthy cinema-related posts up. BTW I plead Rachel Hunter on that: "It won't happen over night, but it will happen!" 

Hot For Teacher

i-want-to-be-your-sex-slave-boyThere are several types of strange stories I keep track of because I think our society has trouble handling the material, which makes for interesting critiques. One is the constant reports on Great White Shark attacks, and the other is the 'Don't Stand So Close to Me/Hot For Teacher' phenomenon. I guess I'm interested in predators. Anyway...

Today's story is from yahoo.

A Melbourne teacher had sex with a student while on strike and urged him to treat her like a sex slave, a court has been told.
Nazira Rafei, 26, a science teacher at a suburban high school, allegedly urged the student to pinch her nipples and disrespect her, and helped him cheat on a maths test.

But the pupil decided to contact authorities when the teacher threatened to "stuff up" his grades if he ended the relationship, the Melbourne Magistrates Court was told on Tuesday.

Rafei was committed to stand trial on one count of sexual penetration of a child under 16 whilst under her care or supervision, and four counts of an indecent act with a child.

She has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The other bit gets a little warped and racy like some Frank Zappa song lyrics:
It is alleged they hugged, kissed and rubbed genitals through clothes in her car.

On the first of these meetings the teacher is claimed to have said: "Treat me like I'm your sex slave, abuse me, tell me to shut the f*** up and to pinch ... my nipples."

During their relationship the teacher also allegedly said: "Disrespect me. Say shut the f*** up to me and stuff like that. Just say it, you know, it makes me feel like - like I'm your girlfriend."

It is also claimed the teacher took the student's partially-completed test from another teacher's desk and filled out answers in grey lead for the student.

The test was then put back on the teacher's desk and the student got 98 per cent for the test.

The science teachers WalkOff-HBP, Gra-gra, and I had back in the day were nothing quite like this. I'm now thinking of all the education I have missed... Hang on, they're the words to 'Hot For Teacher'. Anyway, at this juncture I just want to say is that the youth of today have got it good. :)

I'm not so sure if I were 15 that I'd turn down the teacher above. She's not the prettiest thing, but she's kind of cute. So I wonder if the judge takes that into account in some way. I mean, if an ugly fat teacher forced herself on to a boy, that's got to be somewhat different t if a cute chick teacher seduced a 15 year old boy, no?  The law says... we all know what the law says, it's the same thing, but I get the feeling that's pretty willfully keeping the blindfold on the justice statue. What do you all think?

Tough Cheese On Punter

Nobody likes a friggin' loser in Oz, and yes, the public is being told to turn on the Captain responsible for the loss of the Border-Gavaskar trophy, Ricky Ponting. Peter Roebuck in particular was scathing about some of Ponting's decisions. Now that the Aussies lost, there's a bit of media unrest going on. Ponitng, for his part has hit back
Ponting was adamant Australia deserved to retain their No.1 ranking despite the 2-0 series loss and predicted his team would play "some of the best Test cricket we've seen for a while" in the upcoming home Tests against New Zealand and South Africa.

He said it was absolutely vital for the team to come out and make a positive statement after admitting India had played the more consistent cricket over the course of the four Test series.

"We have to play at a higher level than we did through the India tour, there's no doubt about that, and there's no excuses and there's no reason why we can't," Ponting said at Sydney Airport tonight.

"Just seeing the look on some of the guys faces on the plane, there is genuine excitement about moving on from the Indian series.

"It's important we put that series behind us as quickly as we can and we start focussing on whatever positives there were out of the Indian series and start looking ahead to New Zealand and South Africa in Australia.

Seriously, in any game, you win some and you lose some. So what if they lost a couple in India? They're not good any more? I'm not convinced as some of these guys who are pronouncing that the current crop of Indians will supersede the Aussies. They have to do it first instead of talk about it, and by doing, they have to knock Australia over, over here.  

As for the press, I have a few things to say. After some years in which Australian team showed some dominance, the press is gleefully taking to the possibility that the Australian team is not what it once was. I don't quite get that, but I've always been a fan of Ponting since he first came up as a 19 y.o.. Having watched a healthy load of 1980s cricket where Australia didn't have stroke-makers and let's face it, couldn't play for shit, it's been a good couple of decades watching some great hitters of the ball play. I just don't get this tear-down-Ponting thing going on in the press. It's a form of insanity.

No comments:

Blog Archive