2008/09/22

The Last Game At Yankee Stadium

The Last Game

Yankee Stadium closed today. The Yankees are moving to the new stadium across the road. I guess it means one of these days I'm going to have to trek out to NYC to have look at their new digs. Fortunately, they had enough in their tank to stave off elimination for 1 more game. It's doubtful the Bosox won't win 1 game in the next four, and it's not exactly likely the Yankees will sweep the Jays so that is all she wrote for 2008 when it comes to the Yankees.

My Memories of The Stadium
I was 11 when I finally got to see a game at the Stadium. It wasn't long after the renovations back in 1977 and everything was still freshly painted. Thurman Munson was the Catcher, Ron Guidry was on the mound, around the horn were Chris Chambliss, Willy Randolph, Fred Stanley, Graig Nettles. The outfiled left to right was Lou Piniella, Mickey Rivers and Reggie Jackson. It seemed like a colossally big place. I got an aurograph from Mickey Rivers. He was very polite; he sort of shuffled around and occasioanlly cocked his head to th side.

I know from objective facts that its capacity of 56,000-odd makes Yankee stadium smaller than Sydney's own Telstra Olympic stadium or the Beijing Birds' Nest, but it always looms large in my memory. The only other time I walked into a stadium and was blown away by its dimensions was when I walked into the Colosseo in Rome. It was a strange sensation as if I had been there before, and then it hit me - I was re-experiencing the moment I stepped into Yankee Stadium as kid. Which is kind of weird because it suggests:
- Babe Ruth is more real to me than say, the Emperor Diocletian.
- Some parts of my brain are indelibly centred around my Yankee-fan experience.
Anyway, I don't have much else to offer. So much has faded over time.

No comments:

Blog Archive