2008/09/19

NSWFTO

Dealing With Rejection

Just a quick note to tell you all the NSWFTO declined to back our little project 'Crashing by Design'. The prospects for which were essentially sunk by an unfavorable Reader's Report written by one NG. MW informed me by phone that the meeting essentially goes on what the Reader's Report says so they decided not to go ahead.

Which is fine until you sit there and ponder if the Reader's Report was actually fair. I've been canvassing a few fellow screenwriters who have come back and said, "what she says is right, but how she says it is hostile". I actually disagreed. The Reader completely missed the Hamlet plot points we worked into the story and she kept complaining that it didn't ring true to her when in fact, the part she was complaining about was based on a true story.

If you get sunk by somebody who is making a good point, then yeah. It's a fair cop. When you get sunk by somebody who didn't get the story, then it's not a fair cop. Thank you NG, I'll never forget you and your idiotic input that sunk our application. One of these days I sincerely hope I have the opportunity to repay that favor when I get to sink one of your projects.

I also imagine that a script that tacitly points to the various corruptions in NSW is not going to win over a NSW Government organ, but you get that.

No comments:

Blog Archive