2007/02/12

My New Recording

It's About Anna Nicole Smith

Basically because she died this last week, I've had this weird inspiration to do a cover of 'Candle In The Wind', except with modified words. Why her? Well, because I was sitting in the local fish and chip shop having lunch when I overheard the next table's conversation about Anna Nicole Smith, and it hit me that this woman was a global phenomenon. It's hard to tell what the hell she was famous for except for her marriage to that Marshall millionaire fogey, and the bizarre circumstances of the death of her son and birth of her daughter. But there she was, serious conversation fodder for a Sunday family lunch at the next table. Not literature or music or cinema or politics or history... Anna Nicole Smith.

Then I got to be thinking, "why do I even know about this woman? I wasn't a regular reader of Playboy in the 1990s! I don't care what an old millionaire does in his dotage! Why do I have to waste even a few memory cells knowing about this woman? Well, it's just the way of this world. A world filled with media bits and pieces where flotsam factoids just float into your brain and stick to bits without you knowing or caring. It's just wrong, y'know?"

In fact, why do I know about, Marylin Monroe?
Or Elton John and Bernie Taupin and their song about her?
And Princess Diana and her love of the said song?
And her stupid demise and her affair with Dodi al Fayed and how it might've been a conspiracy and not a drunken chauffeur that killed her?
And how Elton and Bernie quickly re-wrote the words to play it at her funeral and then went on to be a hit again?
And how Anna Nicole Smith idolised Marylin Monroe?
What is it with all these dead dumb blondes?
Thus, I felt compelled to take something of an artistic vengeance.

Here's the link.
Do check it out!

No comments:

Blog Archive