2006/10/04

Weekend Washup

Fantasy Baseball Update
I haven't written about my league for a month now. Alsorans, run by Walkoff-HBP ran off with the league in the end. My team finished 3rd, which is probably about as good as my team was going to be, given that I couldn't trade for 'Holds' in mid-season and many of my hitters slumped through August. More of that in a moment.

There were some worrying trend in my squad which I repeated again this year. Because I tend to put hardhitting infielders in my Utility spot, I tend to totally win 'Assists' and totally lose 'Errors'. The problem here is going to be hard to rectify because more Infielders mean more assists and more errors. I just can't seem to slot a DH-type like Frank Thomas (Who was availabkle as late as June) and sit back and watch the Total Bases grow. Looking at my keepers, I doubt this trend is going to change next year.

A similar troubling trend showed up in my relief corp where I totally won 'Saves' and totally lost 'Holds'. While they are not mutually exclusive items, there only a limited number of RP slots so if you go for 'Saves', you're cutting down on your opportunities for 'Holds'.

What really pissed me off during the trade period was that nobody was willing to trade decent set-up RP type for a Closer at the deadline, so I coudn't rectify that situation at all. Indeed, The one trade I made backfired because the set-up guy (Francisco Cordero) promptly got traded to be a Closer on another team. What's worse, when you're coming first, nobody wants to trade with you - And I can understand that, but it meant I was going to be in a lot trouble down the stretch. Down the stretch, I scrambled hard to find those 'Holds' but they're actually a lot more ephemral when you're looking for them in the FA market. As my hitters declined, so did my ranking. Ultimately, the writing was on the wall after the trade deadline. I just couldn't read it.

Still, it's not a bad result overall because I've managed to go from 5th in 9 to 3rd in 10 this season. I'm looking forward to next season and hoping my core players will get me there.

No comments:

Blog Archive