2019/11/11

'Meet Me Midway'

Meet Me Anywhere, Really

This is the second song in the trilogy of bad breakups. Of course, after the anger and denial comes the negotiation. God, where does one start? I used to think my breakup was terrible but really, it had nothing on the drama that befell some of my friends.

Quite coincidentally, I have three friends by the name of Darren, and all three have had divorces. One of the divorces was protracted and was a result of years of arguing and bickering. Another happened after years of trying to have a child and having failed, it destroyed the meaning of the two being together. The hurt was too much and so was the backbiting and belittling that followed - truest expressions of sincere resentments were exchanged, like gunfire. The third Darren broke up recently and as far as I can tell they split because they stopped even talking to one another in ay meaningful way.

And with each one there was this cloud of unhappy recrimination that hung over them and their ex like a personal rain cloud. I helped one of them move out of his house and vividly recall the rigmarole of getting the van and loading it up and driving it to the storage place for safekeeping while he looked for a place to move in. And the ex came around to make sure he didn't run off with the furniture she wanted to keep and the conversation was civil but devoid of compassion or empathy. They're the things you remember and think "yeah maybe I'll write a song about that."

Life can be underwhelming at best of times times but the mistakes we make on the back of our relationships can truly suck. Like I said, I can write about those bits such better than about love.



Come join the fun at Spotify.

No comments:

Blog Archive