2008/10/06

Still Freaked Out

Can't Seem To Sit In Cars

I've had the opportunity to sit in a car a couple of times since the accident, and I've noticed my stomach seems to churn every time we come to an intersection with traffic. It's like my sympathetic nervous system kicks in with the Fight-Fright-Flight and I just get tense. I see potential accidents everywhere now, and I just keep seeing the worst at any and every intersection with it actually happening - but my heart skips a beat every time some idiot takes a chance.

Years ago, a friend of mine DW had a bad accident on a motorcycle in Borneo. She almost lost her foot but somehow she avoided amputation. She's been on painkillers ever since. When she came back to Sydney she said she just couldn't handle sitting in people's cars, and it would freak the hell out of her any time something remotely like an accident might happen and she could sense it. At the time I thought, "wow, that's a little sensitive," but what do you know? I've got something much like it now.

I've been thinking about it a little and what it is, is that some kind of imprinting takes place during crises and once that happens, your white brain goes, "uh-huh, learn that shit quick so you don't end up in it again!" I swear, I see potential accidents at every crowded intersection.

Not sure how long this effect is going to last. If it keeps going I think I'm going to have to go get it diagnosed as PTSD or something. It's seriously a freak out.

No comments:

Blog Archive