2008/10/03

I Nearly Died Tonight

Near Death Experience
I went out tonight to pick up my missus. I drove 2 blocks to a roundabout and got hit from the side by a guy trying to drive through the roundabout without slowing down. Miraculously, I wasn't injured.
The glass shattered, the door bent like tin foil, but it held enough integrity that I wasn't touched.

Seriously, I was lucky the other guy didn't hit my car hard. Had they been going another 10kph faster, it probably would've put me in hospital. If it had been 15kph more I might have been dead.
Anyway, I walked away to tell the tale. I'm one lucky son of a gun.

I'm comprehensively insured. So the financial aspects are not pleasant but not impossible. The guy was screaming "You better have insurance you bastard!" for about 3-5minutes as I sat there stunned in my car. He was pretty pissed off. I was more like "Holy shit. My legs work."
his partner came over and asked if I was alright.
Nothing hurt, so I knew I was okay but I was shaken so I said I'd tell him in 5 minutes.
He said he would call a police car. I said fine. he came back and said the police said it was a minor accident so they wouldn't come. I thought, "wow. I could've died but the NSW Police don't want to come."

After exchanging details, I drove home, hanging on to the door. I was calm in most part, but mostly in shock. Then this seething anger came... and went. I rang the police and reported the accident.
Now I'm here typing this stuff up. It's 1:15 AM. I'm wide awake and can't go to sleep.
Even after a stiff drink.

EDIT: having posted this, suddenly I'm getting a memory flooding back about Erica at my school who died in an accident after completing her exams. Erica was a nice girl who reminded me a little bit of that girl who likes Jughead in the Archies comics. Shortly after finishing her last exam, she was at a party in Strathfield sitting in a parked car when a speeding Porsche T-Boned the car she was in and that was that.
By the time I turned up to do my last exam, I was accosted by a girl called Melanie, who said, "Have you heard about Erica?"
And when she asked that question, I knew in a flash something dreadful had happened from Melanie's expression. And thinking how frail and transient life actually is - And I think that moment influenced my decision to quit med school.
And I think that could have been me tonight, except I'm longer in the tooth and I wonder if I've done anything of value since that day. Probably not, if my best songs are Dungeon Dad and Pony the Orangutan, but there you go. :)

No comments:

Blog Archive