2007/05/16

Fantasy League Update

The 'DL' Blues And Other Thoughts
My team is beset by the injury bug about as badly as the Yankee starting rotation and yet the only Yankee starter I have is Phil Hughes. King Felix delivered his magnificent Complete Game against The Bosox and promptly blew up in his next start. Phil Hughes we all know about. Just as King Felix has come off the DL, now it is Huston Street who has landed on DL. Ouch. But get this:
I have a shortage of Holds - just as I did last year.
As a remedy, I had hoped - and thus kept! - Akinori Otsuka as my 'Holds' man, but of course Eric Gagne goes on the DL, so Otsuka ends up picking up 'Saves' instead of 'Holds' for 4 weeks. Just as Gagne comes back I find that Street is going on the DL, so maybe I do need Otsuka's 'Saves'. Anyway, during the 4 weeks of Gagne's absence, I pick up Jason Frasor to get my 'Holds'. The next thing you know, BJ Ryan ends up on the DL and Frasor is the closer, and promptly combusts. *Ugh*. So I go looking for Fernando Rodney, who is suddenly filling in for Joel Zumaya who is injured and out for 12 weeks, only to see him combust in the set-up role. And then I pick up Joe Rauch and of course the moment I get him, he inherits the closer's role because Chad Cordero is out with an injury. Thankfully, Cordero is coming back soon, but my Bullpen has been a mess for 6 solid weeks.
Oh yeah, that and Mo's 3 big blown 'Saves' and 8.00+ ERA. *Sheesh*.

In the mean time my Combat Wombats have slowly crept back up to No. 2 on the back of decent hitting but it is way behind the front runner. I wrote a couple of weeks ago about Orlando Hudson, and his position as the 3-hole hitter in Arizona and believing he was up to the task as like imbibing some Jonestown-Kool-aid. Well, the Kool-aid is still working. The guy is actually turning in a career year. I'm pretty sure the Blue Jays would be kicking themselves right now if it weren't for the fact that they have Aaron Hill, another player worthy of Kool-aid status.

David Wright had an awful April but is finally starting to hit. I sort of wonder if he will ever be the 30HR guy. In some ways I expect Alex Gordon to be that but he has hit way below the Mendoza line so it's not even worth contemplating picking him up. I'm really short on Total Bases so in the mean time I've plugged my holes with the likes of Mark Lowell, Sammy Sosa and Mark Teahen. It's tenuous.

Trading in the Jack Kerouac Memorial League is almost impossible. I can't find anybody who wants to trade anything. Not even equivalent ranked players in a straight up swap. I guess the good news is everybody loves their squad no matter where they are sitting on the table. I do find it frustrating. I'm not sure those extra roster spots have encouraged trades at all; if anything they've been a dis-incentive.

AFL League
After 4 rounds of head to head, my team finally got a win. I don't really want to tinker with that roster because the 'trade' limits are strict, so it is a bit like watching a train crash. 1-3 is an awful record to have at the quarter-way mark.

Barry Hall has been disappointing. O'Keefe has been better. Dale Thomas has been a handy player, as has Shannon Hurn who is effectively filling in for the hole in the West Coast roster left by Ben Cousins - who says drug abuse is bad? It's helping my Fantasy Team. :)

No comments:

Blog Archive