2020/01/07

'I Chased Dreams'

Right Over the Cliff

Happy New Year peeps. Hey Happy New Decade even.
Okay, we're all sad in Australia what with the terrible apocalyptic bushfires which were neither unforeseeable nor unpredicted. The government was warned. Scomo the Denialist PM was fully warned by everybody with a brain this was going to be a killer summer for bushfires. And what happens? Exactly what was predicted. What can you do with that kind of obstinacy that has so much caused death and destruction? And guess what? We voted them back in. We are such suckers for punishment.

The screams of Koalas are burnt into my ear and I'm very unhappy about our politicians, even more so than normal.

Might not be the best time to reflect on one's misspent youth, but this whole album 'Monstrous Gaussian Regression' is exactly that kind of venture. These are the songs that have been rattling around inside my head for decades and have kept me tied up on some level. Without doing these I can't get past my own history, so to speak.

They're songs from the band Satellite City which was the band I was knocking around in back in the late 1980s. Somehow through a process of attrition, I ended up being the custodian of the intellectual property, mostly though dint of remembering them, and holding on to old cassette tapes. Yes, it's that kind of archival thing.

The drawback being the repository of this ancient music is that you have to do something with it, and really, I couldn't not do them, given that I now had the means of production. Until you get this out of your system, it just goes around and around in your head. You can't imagine what that's like but when you have like a whole band's catalog in your head, it can drive you bananas not to get it out.

I mean, this is it, the emotional record of how I chased dreams right over the edge.
Don't try this at home, as they say.



Come join the fun at Spotify.

No comments:

Blog Archive