2016/10/13

Listening To...

Old School Habits

Here are some CDs I scored. Yes, that's right CDs. Not stuff I stream, or got as mp3s or whatever people do these days to procure music. I'm a creature of habit and lately I've been back in shops buying discs. There's a lot I can say about this regression to old habits but it comes down to wanting-that-disc-god-damn-it, and that part of me isn't quite dead by the looks of things.

Sonik Kicks - Paul Weller.
This one is actually really upbeat and punchy. It was also only $4.99 at JB Hi-Fi, which is a steal. I mean really, 14 tracks of really well crafted songs by the Mod Father himself. What's the world come to?

10cc. The Greatest Hits ...And More - 10cc
I was after the more obscure cuts on the second disc. They really were the master of studio work so it bears listening to over and over again. They're so smooth in delivery and deft in execution, it's always worth going back for a quick revision. Plus the sheer sonic majesty of 'I'm not In Love' is still astounding to this day.


This Is Not The End - Baby Animals
The apotheosis to the apotheosis of Aussie rock. Truly, once upon a long ago they were pure-and-athentic Gen-X rockers but they got short shrift in a marketplace more interested in pushing Nirvana and grunge. I could write a whole lot more about them, but it's basically Suze DeMarchi and Dave Leslie with a new rhythm section here. 3 albums in total is not enough, when I cast mind to it. On the bright side, Suze DeMarchi hasn't shredded out her vocal cords so she sounds as good as she did on the first 2 albums way back when. And David Leslie is a guitar god.

A Box Set of Thelonious Monk
For $29.99 you get 'In Italy','At the Blackhawk', 'Brilliant Corners', 'The Unique Thelonious Monk', 'Thelonious Monk Plays Duke Ellington'. I already owned the Ellington one and the Italy one so I got the set for the middle 3 discs. It's a lot of great stuff for not much money. Once again, what's the world come to?
Look, Monk clearly isn't to everybody's taste. But if you like your music interesting and not bland, you can't go past him.

No comments:

Blog Archive