2015/07/07

Honey I Bolted Together A Telecaster

The Latest In The Guitar Lab


It's been a while since I've built a guitar. It's a mix of the AUD slipping from parity, the general sense of "what more do I need to do?" and running out of steam that's kept me from doing anything, but this week I've managed to get my gumption up and screwed on a neck to a body. Yep, 4 screws and suddenly I had myself a new guitar.

The neck is a Mexican Stratocaster neck. The frets feel small compared to the normal jumbos I'm used to, but it's a very nice vintage gloss finish neck. It's not quite a flat deck - there's a bit of a camber but barely noticeable when you play. The only thing that's not stock about it are the Fender locking tuners I've put on to it.


The body is the wild card in this marriage of parts. It's a Squire Vintage Modified Cabronita body that was going for cheap, even though it was loaded. The pickups are stock Fender pickups - a Fidelitron in the neck which mimics the Gretsch Filtertrons, and a Alnico V single coil in the bridge. There's much scuttlebutt on the net as to who exactly manufactured the single coils. There's strong unconfirmed suspicions/nods that it's a Tonerider. The body wood is basswood, but it is very heavy and solid.


There is also a Bigsby-licensed tremolo on it, which is surprisingly sturdy but a *bitch* to restring. Overall the guitar has a nice vintage-y tone to it and plays really well.

No comments:

Blog Archive