2012/06/24

Update 23/Jun/2012

AFTRS Is 40 Years Old

I got a call a couple of Fridays ago on my mobile phone. It was somebody from AFTRS. The first thing they said was that I was a hard person to find.

I told them it was because I was avoiding them.

They said they were having a 40th Anniversary. I asked if that was anything to celebrate. I mean, I didn't exactly throw a party when I turned 40.

The guy laughed and said a few people were of that position but that they were calling us anyway to let us know that they're having a bash and all the graduates were invited. So I said, yeah sure, send me the invite.

The invite came. It looked cheesy and it conjured up all the awkward reunion movie moments from 'Grosse Pointe Blank' and 'Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion'. So I said yes.

Last night was the do, and I'm here to report it was an awesome bash and I got back in touch with some amazing people. It's always about the people and it was nice to make peace with the lousy place - it's not even the old place - once and for all. Just seeing these people just filled my heart, and reminded me of a moment of inspiration long ago.

I'll probably still bitch about AFTRS now and then because kicking a guy when he's down has a certain sadistic pleasure, but all in all, I'm okay with it. I had a great time when I was there. Nostalgia masks great swathes of injustices and frustrations. I'd never go to my High School reunion or something for the University of Sydney Faculty of Medicine, but I'll always be up for going back to catch up with my old comrades-in-arms from when film making was a brave and noble calling.

Chris McK, SMurph, Josef, Boschy, Mariella, Gina, Greg, Simon, Tomas, Daniel, Hereward, Stavros, Melina, Kylie, and everybody else I saw and spoke to last night, I luv yuz all from the bottom of my heart!

No comments:

Blog Archive