2012/02/24

The Tumbling Machine

And I have One More Thing To Say, Advance Australia Fair

What a day it's been for politics. I've been pondering today what good would come of Kevin Rudd returning to the hot seat of Prime Minister. One wonders if he really will be an improvement on his former self. I know the plan is that he is trying to leverage his immense popularity in the electorate, but is he really going to be better than before? Will he even be better than Julia Gillard who can at least rightly claim she got a Carbon Tax and Mining Tax of some sort through. I might ave been a bit rash in selling Julia Gillard down the river last night. 24hours on, I'm trying to be a bit less knee-jerk, and more 'ordinary jerk' about all this.

The balance sheet would have it that Julia Gillard actually got some policy material underway and enacted handily in spite of her minority government. It is even conceivable she might have been able to do even more had Kevin Rudd not sabotaged hr election campaign and turned this parliament into the mess that it is now. Even then, I sort of think the only reason it came to that pass was directly because of the manner in which she rose to her office; but I have to put that out of my mind. Has Julia Gillard's performance as a Prime Minister been that bad? My brain says no, my heart says yes.

It won't matter. We don't get to vote - the ALP Caucus does. Peter Hartcher made the funny observation that the MPs get to decide whether they want to work for a bad boss or face unemployment. It's a terrible choice that many Australians get to face. When I think about the fact that it is Tony Abbott lurking out there hoping to cash in on this fracas, then I want the ALP to pick who ever they think they can win with; not whoever they think they can live with as PM. That still means Kevin Rudd, and he told us so himself in his press conference.

We sure live in interesting times, that's for sure.

 

No comments:

Blog Archive