2011/01/19

Custom DVD Of Metropolis

Giorgio Moroder's Metropolis, That Is

Everybody who is into cinema at one point gets to watch Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis' and marvel at the wonder at how far cinema has come. For a start, the commonly available restored version features a musical score that was written for the film at the time back in 1926. Yet if you are Gen X, then chances are, the version of this film that really rocked your world in the mid 180s would have been the Giorgio Moroder restoration in 1984 featuring the likes of Freddie Mercury, Pat Benatar and Jon Anderson amongst others.

Well, I've been waiting for a while for the Giorgio Moroder version to come out since DVDs became the main consumer doodad for movies, and wait as I might, it hasn't made an appearance in the market place through mainstream distribution. Chances are, it won't either because now, you have people who have restored the original claiming copyright over the film, and trying to crowd out the market place, ensuring we don't get the alternative version. How fun is that? Not much.

So it's no surprise that an enterprising soul out there has digitally reconstructed the Giorgio Moroder version of 'Metropolis' from the extant available versions plus (probably) the laser disc of the Moroder version.

Here's the link to Giorgio Moroder's Version if you're interested in getting hold of a copy yourself.

In ordering my copy, I had to send a photo of my copy to prove I'd already bought it, so that I could obtain this version as  a back up to my disc. It's a bit of a legal fiction, but I guess it does the trick. I paypal-ed my payment and about a week later I got my disc in the mail.

What I've seen of it will blow your mind. Blow. Your. Mind.

Let me tell you, it's out there. It's so clearly a labor of love, and it knocked my socks off. It is so, so, so much more gratifying than the Kino edition I have.

So if you've got a hankering for getting that old Giorgio Moroder version with the pumping synths and songs featuring Freddie and Pat and Jon, I suggest you go to that site and order one up.

1 comment:

Custom DVD Of Metropolis | The Art Neuro Weblog | moroder art world said...

[...] it hasn’t made an appearance in the market place through mainstream distribution … Giorgio Moroder – Google Blog Search [...]

Blog Archive