2008/03/06

A Terrorist In The Neighborhood

David Hicks Is Staying In Abbotsford

In one of those dumb ironies, he seems to be a customer at my local supermarket. That's right. As Humphrey Bogart once intoned in Casablanca, "of all the gin joints in all the towns in all this world, you had to walk into mine." The news on him is scarce because there's a gag on the man so he can't say anything. I imagine thrusting a microphone in his face would elicit an "I can't talk guys, so please don't talk to me."
David Hicks has been revealed as living in Sydney's inner-western suburb of Abbotsford, with several media locating the convicted terrorism supporter yesterday.

Despite multiple requests for media to leave, News Limited newspapers located Mr Hicks, who was found to be accompanied by a female friend.

Hicks said that he planned to spend about another two weeks in Sydney, before likely returning to South Australia.

"I'll be here for another two to three weeks," he said.

Despite his pleas, media were seen continuing to hound Mr Hicks, who is currently the subject of a US Government gag order should he speak out about his treatment in the US operated Guantanamo Bay facility - a place he was held for over five years.

"I can go to jail if I talk to the media... please don't talk to me," he said.
There you go, it does.
It's a far cry from G'itmo, but you get that. As most of you know, I actually thought David Hicks was a foolish person who managed to stick his neck into other people's business and got a noose thrown around it. While it's hard to condone Camp X-Ray in any way shape or form, I never felt you could say that somebody in his position could say he didn't have it coming to him. One doesn't end up in the company of Al Qaeda by mistake. While it may seem incredibly unkind, from my own historic perspective on all this, I think the guy got off lightly. But I've written all that before, and to tell you the truth, it's rather boring to rehash.

The new twist is that for the next fortnight, I have an ever-so-slight chance of running into David Hicks, "known terrorist, convicted Al Qaeda collaborator". I've been trying to imagine just what is going to be like and I can't help but think I'd stare and gawk and gander.
"Oh look, he likes Pepsi over Coke! What a terrorist!"
"Oh wow, he likes Helga's wholemeal breads! And crunchy peanut butter!"
Of course I don't think I want to know, but it'd be hilarious to see a celebrity in action at the local supermarket. It's not like Paris Hilton is dropping into Five Dock Superbarn any time soon. Besides which, the day he gets to spew his guts to the press is the day he becomes a millionaire. The rest is just posturing.
I doubt I'll get the opportunity to even say "you had it coming you mug," but... I might. Then again, maybe there is a queue forming at Supabarn of people who want to beat the crap out of him. :)

No comments:

Blog Archive