2007/09/19

Yankees Update

2.5 Games Back


It's not so much that I'm an optimist as I just don't quit. It's a bad trait. However, here we are at the tail end of the season, 11 games to play for the Yankees and 10 for the Bosox, and the Yankees are trailing by 2.5 games. I don't believe in miracles, but I do believe the Bosox could choke-and-fold while the Yankees pursue them into the post-season. Seeing that the Tigers are now 4 games out from the Wild Card leading Yanks, the AL post-season teams are looking pretty set.

So do the Yankees *need* to win the the division when they're going to get to October Baseball anyway? Probably not. But there is this niggling thought that keep having where I feel the echoes of 1978. That's right. This Yankee team has a little bit of the same kind of magic. Unlike the 2004, 2005 and 2006 editions which had truly difficult guys to root for (Esteban Loaiza, Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, Jaret Wright, Tony Womack et al.), this team is more like the older dynasty teams as well as a little bit of the Bronx Zoo. It's got Guidry coaching for a start. As teams go, I feel like they can really do some damage this year, as they have since the All-Star break.

In other non-news... Shelley Duncan signed this autograph for this kid in Bosox gear:

Anyway, I thought I'd mouth off now because 2.5 games is as close as it's been in a very long time. To claw back to here and the Wild Card lead after the disastrous start is victory in of itself.

No comments:

Blog Archive