2006/12/22

No He Won't Be Retiring Soon

What, Me? No Way!

Contrary to recent news reports, Glenn McGrath won't be retiring anytime soon.
McGrath poured scorn on a report in News Limited newspapers today that he would bow out after the fifth Ashes Test in Sydney but continue to play limited-overs internationals up to and including the World Cup in the Caribbean.

He said Shane Warne's resignation from the Australia team didn't mean he would be doing the same.

"To be honest, I haven't said anything (about retiring). It's funny where it all comes from," McGrath told commercial radio.

"To me, I'm just preparing for another game. Nothing's changed since the end of the Perth Test match, apart from the fact that Shane Warne's retiring at the end of the Sydney Test.

"So it's funny how Warnie decides that and . . . whether it's in his wake and I'm being pulled along as well or whether the media think it's time for me to go, I don't know."

But asked whether this Ashes series would be his last Test appearance, McGrath remained non-committal.

"All I'm saying is that to me, it's business as usual," he said. "I'm just preparing for these next two Test matches, then it's the one-day series and then I'll take it from there."

News Limited cricket writer Robert Craddock wrote that McGrath would fly to Melbourne on Friday for the fourth Ashes Test carrying his resignation letter after discussing his departure from cricket with his wife Jane, who has endured a lengthy battle with cancer.

But the veteran paceman said: "All I did was finish in Perth, come home and I've done nothing since and I've had journalists camped on the front door and hassling me at home and everything."

"For me, it's just another day at the office," he said.
Well, so much for that one. Makes you wonder where these 'news stories' come from.

No comments:

Blog Archive