2006/08/23

Good Times

The Yankees Sweep The Red Sox In Boston


You can't take what happens during the regular season as indicative of too much. After all they're only 5 games out of 162. The Red Sox still have the more recent World Series win;and that's a situatin that needs a quick remedy. The Yankees are as usual (and damn well ought to be) on a mission to win it all this year. So it is good when they can show them who's boss.

I guess I am an involuntary sadist when it comes to Red Sox fans. It's good when the Yankees beat the Red Sox. The harder the thrashing, the better the feeling. I can't help it. A five game sweep is sweet. As a byproduct, they feel bad, but that's not my responisbility, nor is it my problem.

It's really good when after struggling along with a depleted roster, the youngsters come up good and then you add Bobby Abreu and Corey Lidle who immediately chip in. It's good when everybody on the roster had a hero moment in the 5 games. It's good to see the Yankees won 3 slug fests and a couple of pitching duels. And while the season is nowhere near over, I take that season-high 6.5 game lead as gold.

It turns out the Yankees have not beaten the Red Sox this good since 1951.
They've not done it in Fenway since 1943 when guys like Joe Dimaggio were playing in pinstripes. However, the most important historic citing that's being made is the 1978 'Boston Massacre' where the Yankees marched into Boston 4 games behind and swept the four games to level the standings.

That there is Thurman Munson and Goose Gossage from the series. Now, I saw that sweep on Television as a kid. I think it was the most exciting things I saw in sport until then - (Borg would win No.4 and 5 of his Wimbledons a little later). When I think about it, I think I always have had this weird, irrational, unreasoned faith about the Yankees because of the 1978 'Boston Massacre'.

In the aftermath of 'Boston Massacre II', people are doing post mortems saying it's the gap in the payroll or it's the injury depleted state of the Red Sox, but I would settle for one line: It's the destiny of the Yankees to beat the Red Sox. I know it's weird, irrational, unreasoned, but it's my faith and credo. Wars may rage, markets may tumble, Empires may crumble, but as long as the Yankees beat the Red Sox, I feel great.

No comments:

Blog Archive