2005/09/04

Key Psycho Update

As it turns out, I'm still mired in the post-production of this film. A year and 4 months since principal photography ended, I'm still wrestling with this project. What went wrong along the way? Well, let's see.

It took me until October to get a fine cut. Then I had that idiotic gig with Eden Media; then I did IBM and the end of the year kind of killed momentum. There was the missing sound people who dropped out one by one; not to mention the guy who went missing in SE Asia amidst the Tsunami thing and then when he came back he said he'd tackle it; who then failed to do anything for 3 months (Feb, Mar, Apr) and then turned in a no-result; then there was me doing dialogue pre-mix in May and June, then working in July and I started doing Effects in August, so we're here now at the beginning of September going, "What? It's not done yet?"

To be fair, have you seen the number of people required to finish just sound post-production on a film? Check the credits of any film next time. You've got ADR, you've got ADR mix, music, effects editors, dialogue mixers, effects mixers, foley artists... I'm doing all of his on my own. And admittedly, I'm not gainfully employed, I do have to do the odd jobs to keep some cash coming in to keep doing this insane thing called a film, but it' no small mountain of work I'm trying to push along here.

So where exactly am I? I'm in the Sargasso Sea known as sound post-production still, and I am beyond my ether in some ways.
1) I've done a dialogue pre-mix. I'm not happy with everything, so I will have to re-visit it, but given the tools I had at the time, it was the best I could do. Since then I've acquired 'Sound Track Pro', which is an enormous difference-maker.
2) Music is still being done by Jim McCrudden. It hasn't come in, but he keeps reassuring me its on its way. I'm anxious, but having heard the MIDI versions of the tracks, I'm reasonably confident he'll have something; and by the end of September. o
3) Sound Effects. I'm still cutting them in and doing a pre-mix as I go. I'm probably half way through this process, but there are some glaring holes that I haven't managed to fill. Believe me, it keeps me up at nights, worried.
4) FX Atmospheres. These are now all laid, but still need to be pre-mixed.
It's a right spaghetti of audio files and tracks everywhere, even in a virtual sense.

Then there are things that crop up in the image. Now that I have 'Motion 2', I get tempted to fix things up; and I do. And that process has inadvertently added on a day here and another there. So everyday that I open up a file involving 'Key Psycho', I feel that there's still a mountain of work, which ever way I look. I am lost, all on my ownsome, trying to finish this damn film. Do I sound desperate? You bet.
Overwhelmed? Yeah, with a "D'uh".
But it's going to get done. Even 'Apocalypse Now' got finished. Given that this film is nowhere near as grand or as elaborate, I think it will get done.

No comments:

Blog Archive