2009/03/19

Aniston As Bond Girl

Please Jen, No Means Dr. No

I must be bored to be piqued by this today: The Vine reports that Jennifer Aniston might get a shot at being the next Bond Girl.
aniston-tries-nudityThe 40-year-old actress - who recently expressed an interest in appearing in the British spy film franchise - is set to be offered a screen test for the follow up to Quantum of Solace which will star Daniel Craig as James Bond.

A source at EON, the production company which makes the James Bond films, said: “Jennifer has all the qualities we are looking for in a Bond girl. She has to be beautiful but she also needs to have brains.

“It helps if she’s athletic and able to keep up with intense stunt work a Bond movie demands.

“It is likely she’ll be called in to meet producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson soon.”

Jennifer previously said of her Bond aspirations: “I get offered funny, quirky, pretty roles. But I’d love to do an action movie. James Bond - glamour. Daniel Craig. Sh*t-loads of fun.”

I sure hope this won't come to pass. Before I totally dismiss this notion I have a confession to make and it is this: while I loathed 'Friends' and thought none except the chudly Matt Perry could actually act on the show, I was always impartial for Aniston's ass.

There, I said it. I'm not an ass-man, but Aniston's ass in that tight black outfit as she jiggled around to the dumb theme song of 'Friends' was a 'bit-of-awright'. Otherwise, I'm not entirely impressed with anything she has done and on the whole her charms are that of the girl next door. She's certainly no great shakes as an acting talent. The best thing I heard is that one "wouldn't kick her out of bed... until the next younger starlet came along".

Her string of movies are equally unimpressive, in direct proportion to her minute acting chops. She says they're the only roles she gets, but I've never had an inkling she was capable of more than the soap suds she's had blown her way. She's show-biz but distinctly TV for a reason.

Oddly enough she chose to wait until she was 40 to do a nude photo session, which suggests prudery and emotional repression that has given way to over-confidence or joy at the results form the plastic surgeon. Or it's a faint admission that straight acting is not going to help her career from here on in so she's had to take her clothes off, just to keep her profile up. We'll never know. So, to see her put herself forward as a Bond Girl candidate and then be willing to screen test is a little rich.

Halle Berry's stint aside, over-aged Bond Girls are a bit of a downer. Terry Hatcher was plain yuck. Maude Adams wouldn't cut it today. One has to wonder if the producers seriously see any merit in casting the forty-something Aniston in the next Bond Movie. Even Kim Basinger was still in her 20s for 'Never Say Never Again'.

Then again it might be the role she proves me wrong. I roll my eyes in anticipation (of the worst).

No comments:

Blog Archive